Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tea's Company Too

This Wednesday is Afternoon Tea, one of this week's more cultured---and perhaps "artsy"--events marked by the Coral Gables Community Calendar. As I read the announcement, I couldn't help but imagine some delicate group of  well-seasoned ladies (50 and older) getting all spiffed up with feather hats and greeted by young & handsome valets who briskly assist them as they drive up in their silver cadillacs on a perky summer day. I mean, this is just the crowd I would expect to find at a 5 star hotel and a place where fellows like George Soros and Obama like to pass their time.
I can't really say much yet, because my version of afternoon tea is probably outdated and definitely sexist. Don't miss-judge me, I am an unrepentant Tea drinker and approve of the drink for almost everyone. 
All I mean to say is that I am not the connoisseur who could easily distinguish a Tetley's breakfast tea from a PG Tips cinnamon blend. While I enjoy the soothing and mood- enhancing aspects of herbal tea, I have to admit that I am still a rookie when it comes to tea.  My usual encounter with tea often consists of a packet of Lipton green tea in a "Best Dad Ever" coffee cup, accompanied with an occasional square of dark chocolate. But as of today, I've decided to change that.  After reading the following post from the Gables Calendar, I made the brave decision of taking on the Afternoon Tea challenge:
"Afternoon Tea at the Biltmore Hotel. One of the few traditional English afternoon teas in the Miami area, the Biltmore’s is the only hotel that boasts such a grand setting -- under the soaring vaulted ceiling of the magnificent lobby and in front of its majestically mantled fireplace. Reservations required."
 At only $21.95 per guest, I made a reservation for two. While I honestly don't know what kind of company to expect for 22 bucks, I am banking on the fact that I will enjoy a seriously delicious cup of fresh-brewed tea and that I will have something interesting to say about it on Wednesday evening. Stay tuned..and in the meanwhile, I hope you will enjoy some traditional Chinese proverbs about tea:


"Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one."  -Anonymous


 
"Tea tempers the spirit, harmonizes the mind, dispels lassitude and relieves fatigue, awakens the thought and prevents drowsiness."   -Lu Yu

No comments:

Post a Comment